Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Friday 7 September 2012

Homeward Bound

Well that's it. A fantastic trip and a brilliant experience - something that will live with me forever.

Most common question; 'Was it all that you expected it to be?'

Simple (but maybe boring answer;) 'Yes!'

Considering the complicated logistics - changing crew every week - and the time pressures that imposed, things went remarkably smoothly overall.

There have been lots of round Britain sailors but I bet that very few trips, if any, have involved weekly crew changes.

The trip took 3 years to prepare for and I have to say that the effort that I put into the planning has paid off.

Not only the route and the built in time contingency, but the equipment on the boat. I had everything that was ever needed, although I might not always remember! ( I found the dustpan and brush yesterday Barry!)

The typical conversation went like this;

Shipmate: 'It would be really useful if you had an "x" on the boat, to help us do "y".'

Me: 'Do you know what, I think that I may have one of those.'

I would then search around the various cupboards and find the object in question. Good planning, terrible memory!

The logistics were also made easier because the Shipmates were all reliable and flexible. I expected a few cry offs and travel problems, but everyone was brilliant.

The Shipmates were also great on the boat. Everyone was committed to the trip and did more than their fair share - especially in the galley! No bust ups, no big issues, all making it simple and enjoyable for me.

I have to say that it was not easy changing crew each week, but that was not down to individuals. It was more about establishing a routine with each person - mooring the boat, sailing skills, living - and then having to start from scratch again the next week.

No big drama but in the ideal world I would have had fewer changes I think.

Overall I was also really pleased with my sailing skills. Lots of very challenging navigation and difficult weather, but we completed each leg safely and no major dramas.

I was only really worried twice - not bad in 18 weeks sailing!

However the real star of the trip was Crusoe Too. We did 10 years worth of sailing in 4 months, with no major breakages. Not bad for a 30 year old boat.

This was in part down to all the hard work in preparation that Paul and Carol kindly did.

It was also down to the quality of the boat build and design.

As you know, I always like chatting up the old boys in the various harbours. They always ask me about the boat.

Old boy: 'Nice boat, what make is she?'

Me: 'Moody 29'

Old boy: 'Ah, thought so. Good solid make.'

And to think - if I had never broken my arms in that Penny Farthing race, then I would never have bought Crusoe Too (too long a story to explain here!)

The biggest revelation to me was the reliability of the engine. We had to use it a lot, and often in situations where it's failure would have resulted in disaster.

Entering the harbours at Lossiemouth and Wells Next The Sea were especially nasty and if the engine had failed, then we would have been wrecked.

I have to confess that I never have faith in mechanical things, yet it confounded my pessimism and chugged on for 337 hours.

It may have been underpowered, wept diesel and bled oil, but it always started first time and never missed a beat. My Bukh DV20 was the true hero of the trip!

Ok, enough ramblings for one day.

The final thing is to thank everyone.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me but especially to the Shipmates; I could not have done the trip without you.

Big thanks also to Tom and Mom - it was very special to sail with you both.

But the main thanks have to go to Vanessa and Abigail.

Despite it being Abigail's A level year, she sacrificed having her Dad around to support her during her exams. Thank you so much Abs; but no, I am not buying you a handbag as a reward!

Most of all though I have to thank Vanessa. Words can not express how much I owe her - she really is an amazing person. She will kill me if I get mushy here, but all I will say is that she has my love for ever.

Must go now, need to find a job!



4 comments:

  1. That was some Oscar acceptance speech! Fancy coming back to L'pool as I'm sure we can something for you to do. Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, we have never met but rest assured he will be ready to report for duty on 8 October!! (Not that I've spoken to Andrew about this!!)

      Delete
  2. Solly - congrats on completing the journey. A supreme achievement and especially pleased you got back in one piece despite the triple sulko over the rails to save the pan! Thanks again for the experience and look forward to the next trip! Catch you for a cold one some time soon. Cheers Frostie
    PS Is Ness ready for all the upheaval of you being back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to assimilate yourself into "normal" life again and develop some life skills associated with dry land. Land does have its compensations, you wont have to spend have the night worrying if the anchor is going to hold, you dont need to wake up and listen to the shipping forecast at 6am every morning (although i suspect you will continue to tune in from time to time)you wont have to worry if one of your incompetent seamates can hop of and tie the mooring lines correctly to a cleat, or tie the fenders on correctly or turn the smoke alarm off every morning. You hopefully wont bang your head as often or constantly have to fiddle with your engine. I am sure you wont miss blowing up the dingy and then deflating it, then blowing it up again. You will be able to go to the toilet with a much smaller chance of falling off and be able to wash up without having to boil a kettle. (I bet that kettle was boiled over a thousand times)As i am writing this, i do actually wonder how you are going to fill your days....I know, you can start planning your next trip. Ireland? Actually, go somewhere warm, that would be much better and you might even get Vanessa to put in an appearance.

    Congrats on trip, great achievment, thanks for letting me tag along but please stop calling yourself Captain Rusty.

    Griff......

    ReplyDelete