Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Thursday 6 September 2012

Week 18 - Thursday - Circumnavigation

Well technically I have completed the circumnavigation; I crossed my outward track at Abersoch last night.

We are on a mooring buoy in the bay, exactly 4 months after that soul destroying first day. If you remember, - Rob, Paul and I had to turn back due to bad weather, only to then have to bail out the flooded bilges.

The first day; we has sailed for 10 hours- only to end up 5 miles from Pwllheli! By far the worst part of the trip, but at least we got it out of the way early!

Mom and I left Aberystwyth yesterday in sunny, calm conditions. However after two hours, contrary to the forecast, the wind picked up to Force 5, on the nose. We then had a further 8 hours bashing into big waves, reducing our speed to less than 3 knots. Very frustrating and we had to endure a 10 hour day to cover just 30 miles!

Mother Nature showing who is boss for a final time i suppose; to stop me feeling too smug!

Mom learnt to steer the boat in these rough conditions and did a great job - but found that she could not steer and talk at the same time!

One last hop of 5 miles today, then home on Friday. Not sure how I feel yet, it will take a while to sink in!



2 comments:

  1. Well done! And Crusoe Too is still in one piece! BH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done from me too. And the Samuel Beckett complexion is coming on nicely! PJ

    ReplyDelete