Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Sunday 2 September 2012

Week 18 - Sunday

Tenby was a lovely place but I can see why it is not a yacht Mecca!

Both nights at anchorage were uncomfortable - even though the bay is very sheltered. Last night beat even St Ives for rollyness(!); stuff started falling off shelves onto me in my bunk!

This morning was an early start to catch the tide and has turned out to be one of those classically miserable sailing days. Drizzle, strong headwinds and big waves.

These sort of days always follow the same pattern.
1) After 30 minutes you start to feel fed up and start justifying why it would be sensible to turn back!
2) You then give yourself a stern talking to about cowardice and character building etc.
3) You then agree with yourself to ride it out a little longer.
4) The boat is handling the weather, so you start to feel more comfortable.
5) You switch into survival mode; brain to neutral and get on with it.
6) Eventually the weather improves and you wonder what you ever worried about!
However today had a sting in the tail.

I had 2 hours of the biggest waves that I have experienced in Crusoe Too. The wind and tide were pushing in different directions, leading to big seas.

There were a couple of waves that I thought we would not actually get over the top of!

Put it this way - this was the first time in 18 weeks that I have mentally rehearsed a Mayday call!

I decided to cut short the trip, and am now hiding near Milford Haven in a lovely place called Dale.

Not how I had envisaged my first day on my own!

I did wonder if I was more or less anxious because I was on my own. Although it would have been good to share the experience, I think that I would have been more concerned - having to worry about someone else too.

Anyway, hopefully it will be better tomorrow - off to Fishguard.

No comments:

Post a Comment