Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Statistics

Timing has never been my strong point.

Only I could have decided to sail around Britain during the wettest Summer on record!

Add to that the fact that I missed: Abigail's A levels, the first British winner of the Tour de France and the greatest Olympics/Paralympics ever - and you get my point!

Never the less, I would not have changed anything and have no regrets.

A few people have asked me about the statistics of the trip, so here they are:

Distance: 2,392.8 nautical miles
Sailing: 198.5 hours
Motoring: 340.75 hours

Days at Sea: 70
Days smoke alarm went off: 70!
Days Captain Rusty went missing at food time: 70!
Days emergency light fell in water: 70!
Days Captain Rusty retied fenders: 70!
Days giving TLC to engine: 70!

Non sailing days:
Waiting for weather; 36 Changeover/Olympics: 20

Average Speed: 4.4 knots
(speed is always surprisingly slow - you could jog around faster!)

Moorings (sailing days):
Marina: 35 nights
Pontoons: 4 nights
Buoys: 15 nights
Anchor: 6 nights
Wall: 4 nights
Canal: 4 nights

Cups of tea: 1,000
Kettle boils: 1,500

Fuel: 170 litres
Miles carrying Jerry Can: Too many!

Gas: 6 x 4.5kg bottles

Weather Forecast Checks: Thousands

Shipmates: 14


1 comment:

  1. Hello captain! Congratulations on completing the trip. I have several fond memories - 1. The exciting start we had leaving Oban ! 2. Neptune' staircase where your patience regarding my rope throwing was put to the test ! However my favourite recollection of my leg was Rusty's appetite! Keeping the captain fed and watered at regular intervals was a challenge in itself - he has the appetite as big as the Loch Ness monster ( seeing which was also a highlight!). Hope you are adjusting well in the real world again. What's planned next ?!!!

    ReplyDelete