Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Saturday 21 July 2012

Week 12 - Saturday - St Katharines Dock

Yesterday was a good day, as the trip up the Thames was great fun.

We picked up the tide and were flying up the river at 8 knots at times ( our max. is usually 5 knots.)

The M25 was at a standstill as we passed under the Queen Elizabeth bridge - we almost felt sorry for them!

Loads of commercial traffic to avoid in the lower Thames, then loads of tourist and security vessels from Greenwich upwards.

Tom was waving to everyone as usual; his best returns being out of the window of a helicopter and from the top deck of the massive warship HMS Ocean!.

It felt like creeping into London through the back door - quiet and no sign of the masses of people who are always walking around the city.

Once at Tower Bridge it was different - chaotic.

We had to wait for boats to lock out of St Kats. before we could get in. This meant hovering in the river, against a strong current, with tourist boats jostling for the best views and torrential showers!

After a stressful hour we finally went through the lock, squeezed next to a huge Thames barge.

Once moored up, Tom went off to pick up Abigail ( visiting us for the night) while I had a snooze.

I was just dropping off when I was visited by a nice, efficient policemen! Security is so tight around and they are checking all boats. I asked him onboard and answered the questions - including 'how tall am I!'

All of the time I could see him looking around the boat, checking me out. Not sure what he made of the food stash, strong smell of diesel or the autobiography of Howard Marks (the infamous dope dealer) - but I passed the test!

Abs turned up and we went up to the West End for food. I must say that I found it very disorientating - being amongst crowds of people, after so long away.

Give me the most remote pub in Britain any day!



No comments:

Post a Comment