Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Friday 10 August 2012

Week 14 - Friday - Newtown Creek

Yesterday was one of those great days on the water.

Leisurely start, easy fuel pontoon - no queues - hot, sunny, gentle trip down to Newtown Creek.

This is a shallow, marshy creek; very pretty and therefore popular.

As we motored through the narrow entrance, the creek was absolutely rammed full. As we passed the occupied moorings, we passed a lady on deck who hailed us and said that they were leaving. What luck.

We moored up in bright sun shine and Steve persuaded me to have a swim. He dived in but my entry was a bit pathetic - a slow climb down the ladder!

It was lovely in there - a touch of the Med but in England.

After another great meal from Tony, we pumped up the dinghy and
motored a mile up the creek to the pub.

The tide was falling and after a few pints we rushed back to the dinghy, before the creek dried.

There was just enough water to float but with the weight of 3 of us, the dinghy was scraping along the bottom.

We managed to punt along until we finally had enough water under us to use the engine.

15 minutes later and we would have been stranded on the mud, with a 2 hour wait! Perfect timing.

A good old chat and a laugh in the cockpit rounded off a great day.




1 comment:

  1. Andy
    Love the hat. Need to coordinate tomorrow's visit. I tried the mobile number I had for you and it does not work. Can you email me your number at my IBM address or text me. I am still on the IBM number if you have that.
    thanks
    Sue

    ReplyDelete