Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Thursday 30 August 2012

Week 17 - Thursday - Swansea

Now that I am coming to the end of the trip, I am naturally starting to be asked lots of questions, such as:

Was it what you expected?
What was the best / worst place?
How did you cope with the change of crew each week?
How did you cope with two weeks of Griff!?

To be honest I have not really done any reflection yet, so I hear myself giving not very good answers. The questioner soon gets bored!

Over the coming weeks I will give it more thought and come up with better responses.

One obvious question is: 'where did you experience the strongest winds?'

I had imagined that I would be saying something like 'The Moray Firth with Frostie' or 'Felixstowe to London with Tom.'

I never imagined though that I would be saying 'Swansea marina with Griff!'

However that is the unlikely truth!

We are at the far end of the marina, surrounded by flats. Directly behind the boat are some arches and a gap between the flats, facing the coast.

Well yesterday the wind was blowing directly through these arches and battering the boat. I recorded winds of Gale Force 9, and it was very uncomfortable.

As the boat snaked around on the mooring, I had to attach extra mooring lines - I was worried that the boat would break loose.

All of this is of course is ironic, as we came into the marina to escape the bad weather!

Fortunately no damage was done and it is a bit quieter now. It was certainly very exciting for a while though!

Nothing dramatic happening today, we will stay then off to Milford Haven tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Andy, the real questions are; what are you going to do next and when are you going back to work? Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pontoons look like the famous wobbly ones designed to dunk unsuspecting crew as they leap (sorry step) off to tie up.

    ReplyDelete