Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Monday 11 June 2012

Jim's recap....

Jim here. Just to recap I joined the cap'n on Saturday following a 6 hr drive up. After the exciting exit from Oban marina (see previous!) we sailed for 4 hrs then anchored. Yesterday we motored to the Caledonian canal and quickly had a test of our lock skills which we passed fine. Then to the Staircase. During this 2hr event I decided that the RYA should devise another course for their program - Incompetent Crew! My job at the front of the boat was to throw the rope up to the waiting lock-keeper who would then tie us up ready for the lock to fill.

Lock1. Throw 1 - splash - 'sorry'.
Throw 2 - splash - expletive.. Lock keeper gets bored and walks away! 3rd time was lucky. Then once thru that lock a member of the vast gallery watching offered to unhook us, threw the rope which whacked me on the head! Oh how we laughed!

The rest of the locks were excellent from the crew and I even drew a compliment from the lock keeper following a direct fling.

Just finishing breakfast and then off to Loch Oich.

Ps. I'll let Rusty describe how he nearly caused a YouTube sensation by trying to reverse up the Staircase!

1 comment: