Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Week 7 - Tuesday - Peterhead

As the Marina manager said "Peterhead is like Rome.........everyone should see it once!"

The welcome here was very warm and the facilities are good. However I suspect that even Peterhead's biggest fan would admit that it is aesthetically challenged!

It is a functional place, with a big harbour that handles the fishing fleet and oil service vessels. Most of these are huge and dwarf us.

The marina nestles in the corner of the harbour, next to the oil service dock and beneath the gaze of Peterhead prison.

However, there was a beautiful sunset last night with the orange light playing across the council estate and caravan park........and I must admit that I quite warmed to the place!

You would not come here on holiday but it is an important place for the British economy and I am glad that I have been here.

After another one of Frostie's super breakfasts, we are off to Stonehaven today. No wind again!




1 comment:

  1. I met two girls from Peterhead on holiday in my youth, the made wet suits for divers working on the oil rigs. I also went there on business to visit a Marine Insurance customer, they claimed to be the last wollen mill to actually shear the sheep all they way through to turning it into yarn before sending it to the fasion houses in Europe....boy I must be bored at work to share this with you.

    ReplyDelete