Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Saturday 16 June 2012

Week 7 - Saturday - Pan Overboard!

Two golden rules on the boat:

1) Be careful not to drop pans/bowls over the side while emptying them.

2) Never jump from the boat to the pontoon - always step across.

Last night I managed to break both of these rules and ended up swimming in the harbour!

Anyone who has been on the boat knows that most items that we use have a story attached to them or have sentimental value to me

None more so than the kitchen equipment; the plates, bowls, cutlery and pans all belonged to my Grandparents. They came from their caravan and we were using them over 35 years ago.

The sink on the boat is easily blocked, so we tend to throw waste water over the side.

Each time I empty the washing up bowl I expect to see a teaspoon go overboard!

Emptying the pan tonight I thought " I bet that this gets dropped in one day," and then promptly let go of it!

There is no way that I am losing granny's pan, so as it filled with water I leapt over the guard rail.

Inevitably I caught my foot and did not make the gap! Splash............up to my waist in the water.

As the pan floated tantalisingly out of reach I shouted - "Frostie, I think that I have fallen in!"

He came on deck as I managed to haul myself out and resume a soggy hunt for the pan.

We then started to debate if would have floated or sunk. I dispaired until Frostie saw it floating by the harbour wall.

I grabbed it and can now report that Granny's pan is safely washed and stored away.

No damage done apart from a few bruises, an extra shower, washing machine visit and of course embarrassment!










2 comments:

  1. Why did you shout "I THINK I have fallen in" rather than "I have fallen in"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also there's not enough statistics on this blog: how many miles so far, how many gallons of fuel used, how many different toilets used... you know the sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete