Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Friday 8 June 2012

Week 5 - Friday - Oban

Well we made it to Oban and are now sitting in the marina.

We hit the town yesterday and joined all of the other tourists - traipsing around on a wet day looking for something to do.

Oban is the gateway to the islands and as such has all of the main stores , including a very large Tesco, Homebase, Argos etc.

It is only lacking one type of shop - one that sells pipes!

To add to my Captain Rusty persona I think that I need to start smoking a pipe. My credibility as an old sea dog has been severely dented by Griff and the loss of my beard, so I need to strengthen my brand!

However amazingly, there is nowhere in Oban that sells pipes. Believe me, we tried every shop and asked every local. Griff was up for it as well, but no success.

In desperation to keep Captain Rusty alive we considered other options, such as going into the local tattoo parlour - an anchor would be a nice touch. However that route leads to divorce!

We finally settled on going into a pub and telling them wildly exaggerated stories of past exploits; until they all started call me 'Captain!'

Childish I know, but at least I regained some of my imaginary credibility.

VHF man coming to look at the radio today and possibly yet another distillery tour!

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you save some of the whisky I may need it to get through the stories by the time you get to me. BH

    ReplyDelete