Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Friday 1 June 2012

Week 4 - Friday - Oban

We had a great sail yesterday from Tobemory to Oban.

It was a perfect wind from behind and we sailed the whole way.

I plucked up my courage and used my Cruusing Chute for the first time. This is a very large, thin sail that provides extra speed in light winds.

It is complicated to use and it took us a while to get it raised and trimmed properly. But once we had sorted it out, we flew down the sound of Mull.

The wind got stronger and we decided to bring the chute down. This involves pulling a large 'sock' over the sail which then deflates. I had never done this before, so we had a few hairy moments but managed it in the end. Great fun.

My beard is now 4 weeks old and does not seem to be meeting universal approval!

Vanessa has asked me to remove it and my mum says that it makes me look like dad. Mark's daughters were scrolling down the blog page and actually screamed with horror when they saw the picture of me and the beard!

It also makes me look even more ancient than I did before. As we dawdled down the middle of the road in Port Ellen a car full of youngsters sped past and shouted a friendly greeting..........."Get out of the way you old bastards!"

Add to that the itching, food debris removal and trimming - a beard really does have no merits.

I will persevere for a little longer but it will not be a permanent feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment