Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Thursday 28 June 2012

Week 8 - Thursday - Whitby

We had a new first yesterday: I managed to leave a crew member behind!

Our usual exit routine is that Peter walks along to the end of the pontoon, holding the bowline and keeping the boat parallel. At the last moment he climbs athletically back on board.

However yesterday there was a sidewind and as I reversed, the gap between boat and pontoon began to widen. Peter wisely decided that discretion was the better part of valour and did not jump across.

He then had to watch as Crusoe Too sailed away, with me more concerned about a possible missing fender than my missing crew.

Well, you can always replace the crew but a new fender is £50!

Having found the missing fender I then returned for Peter; and even if I do say so myself, my reversing manoeuvre to pick him up was very elegant.

Fortunately Peter is a great chap and he holds no long term grudge about the incident.

Tourist stuff today for us, as the weather worsens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment