Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Friday 25 May 2012

Crinan

Well, it's been a day of adventure for sure!

We went through the locks in tandem with a lovely French couple. They handled their boat in the opposite ( but more sensible) way to the average Brit i.e. the wife steered the boat while the husband did all the heavy rope pulling!

On the advice of the lock keeper we stopped in a private mooring just short of Crinan , in a great spot to lay up until Mark C arrives and we leave on Sunday. "Don't worry," said the lock keeper," I have never seen the owner here. "

After trips to the launderette and a ride on my Bickerton bike, I returned to the mooring to find a very cross owner rafted up to me. Fair enough; he and his wife had had a very long day's sail and just wanted to moor up and go home.

At this point the lock keeper cycled past and stopped to help.

"I thought you said that you had never seen a boat on this pontoon," said I. "I haven't," said the lock keeper. "How long have you worked here," said I. " This is my first day" said the Lock keeper!!

Anyway, I was very embarrassed, apologised profusely to the owner and we moved the boat closer to lock 14.

As we tied up, the mooring owner arrived on the Bickerton (I had left it behind to pick up later.)

Anyway it turns out that he is looking to buy a folding cycle and we had a good old chat. He was a really lovely chap and once we had made friends, he gave me loads of great advice about places to visit.

Amazing how a difficult situation turned into a great experience.

Lots of other things happened: Paul bought me a Scottish Courtesy flag, the only steam Puffer boat in the world came past and I used a phone box for the first time in 20 years!

I must tell you about my experience in the Launderette, but that can wait.

1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait for the launderette story...it is bound to be fascinating!!!

    Or perhaps you can save it for a long Hebredean evening........i have a feeling that we will need some new stories to get through the week......

    ReplyDelete